Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Georgia O'Keeffe - Warm & Cool Flower Study

The 4th grade did a lot of work to complete a 12 color color-wheel. They included the Primary, Secondary and Intermediate colors, but could only use a red, yellow, and blue, colored pencil. After examining the color wheel, we determined which colors felt warm and which felt cool.


The students demonstrated their knowledge of warm and cool colors by drawing a flower in the style of Georgia O'Keeffe, using only warm or only cool colors in their flower.

Like O'Keeffe, they drew their flowers very large and close up. O'Keeffe intended for her audience to see flowers in a new way.

"Nobody sees a flower - really - it is so small - we haven't time - and to see takes time like to have a friend takes time...So I said to myself - I'll paint what I see - what the flower is to me, but I'll paint it big and they will be surprised into taking time to look at it - I will make even busy New Yorkers take time to see what I see of flowers." - Georgia O'Keeffe



Georgia O'Keeffe's Paintings

The students used oil pastels to draw the outline of the petals and then painted the petals and the background with watercolors.



See more 4th grade O'Keeffe flowers here.


No comments: